Culver City Adult School Internship Program Summer 2016
An internship is an opportunity offered by an employer to potential employees, called interns, to work at a firm for a fixed, limited period of time. Interns are usually undergraduates or students, and most internships last for any length of time between one week and 12 months.
The Random House Dictionary defines the word as:
“Any official or formal program to provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession.”
Why Do An Internship?
Results from a recent survey conducted by Graduate Advantage prove that internships do create jobs for graduates. It showed that 81% of interns are now employed and 74% of those are either in permanent employment or are on a long term contract. Of these, 68% believe their internship helped them to gain their current position and an impressive 33% are still working with their internship organization. http://www.graduateadvantage.co.uk/blog/2011/09/what-is-an-internship/
Who is eligible for an Internship at Culver City Adult School?
- Must be enrolled full-time at a 4-year university, with a GPA of 3.0 or better AND/OR
- Must have volunteered for CCHS-CPHS Service Learning hours for at least one summer previously (for a minimum of 30 hours)
- CCUSD K-12 graduates, prior SE4K volunteer experience and ability to speak another language preferred
- All candidates, once accepted, must undergo a ”livescan” process with Culver City Police Department at own expense (between $30-$50)
- All candidates must possess a (negative) TB test valid from within the past two years
How Do I Apply?
Register your interest in an internship by e-mailing Ruth Morris, Programs Specialist, at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach a recent copy of your resume, including all educational, work and volunteer experience, as well as information about hobbies, interests and special skills and abilities.
What will my internship be like?
- Each intern chosen for a position will commit to working a minimum of 15 hours per week, for six weeks of our summer program which, this year, goes from 6/20-7/29.
- Interns will be assigned to one or more teachers, and will assist each teacher assigned with all aspects of the teaching and preparation of the classes.
- Interns will create at least one entire lesson plan, and teach at least one hour of a class period themselves.
- At the end of the program, interns will complete an exit survey reflecting on their experience.
- Interns will report directly to Ruth Morris, checking in for attendance and brief meeting once a day between the hours of 8:00AM and 3:00PM.
What will I earn at the end of my internship?
- Excellent resume-building and genuine work experience
- Apprenticeship with credentialed teachers and administrators
- A formal letter of recommendation upon completion of the program
- Assistance with resumes, job applications and school, internship and scholarship recommendations
- A certificate of completion